Interview with Elise de Sallier

I'm happy to have Elise de Sallier join us on the blog today.  I asked some of my teacher friends (thanks, ladies!!) what questions they would ask an author if they could. Elise was kind enough to answer those questions for us.

Elise has published 3 books. Her latest of which, Passion & Propriety, just came out on August 7.

Where do you get your inspiration for your characters and your plot? 

All over the place, but the idea for Passion and Propriety came to me after watching multiple viewings of Disney's Beauty and the Beast with my gorgeous granddaughter. I started thinking how much fun it would be to write a Beauty and the Beast inspired Regency romance. When I began planning the story, I found myself asking, how do we define beauty, what makes someone beastly, and how on earth would I tackle a 'realistic' story involving a curse? It certainly made for some interesting research!

Do you write outlines before you begin or just start writing and let the story evolve....do you know the ending before it is written?

Yes, I do write an outline, but I don't always stick to it! I started writing as a form of stress relief from my job as a counsellor and family therapist, so in stark contrast to real life, I wanted my stories to show the characters learning from their mistakes, growing as individuals and in their love for one another, overcoming whatever obstacles are thrown in their way, and ending with a very satisfying and happy ending. I'm now writing full time, but I still feel the same about my stories...the ones I read as well as the ones I write. I can cope with a fair amount of realism and angst in my fiction, as long as I have my HEA!

Favorite place to write?

My dining table if there aren't too many distractions, or my office overlooking the garden when there is. :)

What is your favorite pen to write with?

I write everything on my trusty little HP notebook computer. It's slow as a wet weak and is on it's last legs, but I can't bring myself to part with it.

How do you choose names for characters?

My key characters names are usually found after spending hours searching online at sites that list names used in the Regency era, both first and surnames. Other times, as long as they're not too unique, I use the names of old school friends or teachers for my secondary characters.

When do you write?

Mornings are best when my mind is freshest, but I try to keep working afternoons and evenings on edits for my publisher or marketing.

Do you treat it like a job and keep writing work hours or are you moved to write in a less structured way? 

I try, but life has a way of getting in the way. :)

How do you research settings to make them believable?

Some of my 'knowledge' is drawn from the hundreds of historical romances I've read over the years, some from Austen and writers of the era, some from watching wonderful shows like the BBC version of Pride and Prejudice, a lot from hours spent exploring the amazing historical blogs and sites available on the Internet, and the rest from Wikipedia, my new best friend.

Thanks, Elise for stopping by!!!

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment